Christmas photo created by senivpetro - www.freepik.com

During the holiday season we all love to have some festive plants around the house. Did you know that a lot of those plants are toxic to our pets?! We wanted to share some of those with you, along with some of the common symptoms of poisoning.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned by a holiday plant, please get in touch with your Vet as soon as possible.

Christmas Cactus
The fibrous plant material of the cactus can cause vomiting and diarrhea in mass quantities.

Christmas Rose
The Christmas rose contains many poisonous toxins known as glycosides. When any part of the plant is ingested, it can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive thirst and lethargy.

Christmas Tree
Fir, spruce, and pine tree oils can irritate your pet’s mouth, leading to excessive drooling or vomiting. Their needles, if ingested, can cause gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, obstruction, or even perforate the intestines.

Holly
When ingested, English or Christmas Holly can cause severe gastrointestinal upset (e.g., vomiting, diarrhea). You may also notice your pet lip smacking, drooling, or head shaking excessively due to injury from the spiky leaves.

Lilies
Plants in the lily family are toxic and can cause kidney failure in cats. Some of the symptoms of poisoning are vomiting, lethargy and depression.

Mistletoe
When ingested, mistletoe poisoning can result in mild signs of gastrointestinal irritation (e.g., drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain). If ingested in large amounts, abnormal heart rate, collapse, hypotension (low blood pressure), ataxia (walking drunk), seizures and even death have been reported.

Poinsettia
With it’s low level of toxicity, when ingested, mild signs of vomiting, drooling, or rarely, diarrhea may be seen.

P.S. You know what plant is NOT toxic to pets? HEMP!!! Click here to find out how CBD works in pets.

Read Article